Speech Delivered by His Excellency, Umaru Tanko
Al-makura, the Governor of Nasarawa State, on the Occasion of Presentation
of 2nd Class Staff of Office to His Royal Highness, Mr. Christopher Jatau
(JP), the Uehra Ashea:
Monday, 7th August, 2017
1. His Excellency, the Deputy Governor of Nasarawa State;
2. The Right Hon. Speaker, Nasarawa State House of Assembly;
3. The Hon. Chief Judge of Nasarawa State;
4. Principal Officers and Members of the State House of Assembly;
5. Members of the State Executive and Security Councils;
6. The Secretary to the Government of Nasarawa State;
7. The Head of the Civil Service;
8. The State Chairman, All Progressives Congress (APC);
9. Special Advisers;
10. Permanent Secretaries;
11. His Royal Highness, Alhaji (Dr.) Isa Mustapha Agwai I, CFR, Emir of Lafia and Chairman, Nasarawa State Council of Chiefs;
12. Chairmen and Chief Executives of Commissions, Boards and Parastatals;
13. Your Royal Highnesses, Emirs and Chiefs;
14. Prominent Sons and Daughters of Nasarawa State;
15. Other invited Guests at this Occasion;
16. Gentlemen of the Press;
17. Ladies and Gentlemen.
I am delighted to address you on this occasion of the presentation of Second Class Staff of Office to His Royal Highness, Mr. Christopher Jatau (JP), the Uehra Ashea.
2. I am impressed with the large turn out of the sons and
daughters, friends and well-wishers of this chiefdom who are here for the
purpose of displaying their allegiance to their paramount ruler and
rejoicing with him at this momentous occasion. This, no doubt, indicates
that you are not only loyal to the royal father, but also cherish your
ancestral stool. I believe that the presentation of the 2nd Class staff of
office to the royal father will spur him for more dedication to the course
of his people and also strengthen the unity amongst the people of this
3. I, therefore, congratulate His Royal Highness for this elevation which is in line with this Administration’s commitment to protect the sanctity of the Traditional Institution, aimed at extolling their roles as the conscience of the society. It is based on our resolve in this direction that Government has made the institution a reservoir of wisdom which this Administration is obliged to tap from. This is more so that the traditional rulers are the closest to the people at the grassroots. It is my belief, therefore, that their involvement in implementing policies and programmes of Government, especially as it pertains to the sustenance of peace and harmony in the society, will go a long way in producing citizens that are responsive and economically productive.
4. It is for this reason that this Administration evolved initiatives that will elevate the status of the traditional stools, as well as provide avenues for enhanced welfare for our royal fathers. In this regard, we have, since assumption of office, created more chiefdoms with a view to giving every community a sense of belonging. This, in our estimation, will go a long way in opening windows for communal participation in the act of governance and enable the people at the grassroots feel the pulse of Government and vice versa. In addition to this effort, this Administration considered the imperative of upgrading the status of the stool of Traditional Rulers based on their performance and contributions to peaceful co-existence in their domains. This consideration informed the upgrading of the stool of the Uehra-Ashea from 3rd class status to the 2nd class grade.
5. Your Royal Highnesses, distinguished ladies and gentlemen, this administration will continue to commit itself to the provision of basic amenities in our communities in the State. Accordingly, in fulfilling our pledge for a quality education that will be accessible and affordable to all, Government has awarded the contract for the construction of Ta’al Model School in Panda, which work has since commenced. This is aimed at enhancing enrollment of our children to schools and ensure that we meet the objectives of the Sustainable Development Goal of “Education for all”.
6. By the same token, I wish to take liberty of this occasion to assure you that the ongoing construction of Gitata-Panda-Gurku road will be completed in our determination to open this area for continued socio-economic activities. In addition, we are committed to providing healthcare services, potable water, among other endeavours for the benefit of our people.
7. My dear sons and daughters of this chiefdom, it is my hope and, indeed, expectation that you will reciprocate this gesture of Government by being law abiding citizens. I call on you to continue to support the efforts of this Administration towards building the Nasarawa State that will be placed at a high pedestal of socio-economic prosperity. I charge you to be agents of peace and harmony which are necessary if we are desirous of attaining our goals and objectives.
8. Lastly, I urge you to accord His Royal Highness your total allegiance in his commitment towards complimenting Government efforts to sustain our peace building initiatives. I am optimistic that given his pedigree as a seasoned educationist who rose to the pinnacle of his career, your paramount ruler will continue to innovate ways that will harness the human capital potentials of this chiefdom for virile educational pursuit which is the panacea for rapid development. It is my belief that this elevation will spur him to do more.
9. At this juncture, distinguished ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to formally present the 2nd Class Staff of Office to His Royal Highness, Mr. Christopher Jatau (JP), the Uehra Ashea.
10. Thank you and God bless.